Day 43 – Free Will from the lips of Jesus

O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, killing the prophets and stoning those who are sent to you! How often would I have gathered your children together as a hen gathers her brood under her wings, and you would not! Behold, your house is forsaken and desolate. For I tell you, you will not see me again, until you say, ‘Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord.’

This is one of my favorite passages in the Bible b/c of the visual image it conveys. I see a large white hen (God) trying to gather all her tiny little yellow newborn chicks (us) but the chicks are fanning out in every direction out into the word enamored with something in the distance.

The verse is obviously an allegory and many interpretations could be applied to it. However, I think the most obvious is that God tries to gather together his people but because we have free will some just head off on their own. We know that what’s best for them is to stay with the hen and if the chicks knew what was out there in the world they would certainly head back. Also, notice that the hen tries to gather the whole brood. The hen doesn’t choose some to save and some not even try. The ones that are not gathered are the ones that “would not”, that refuse to be gathered.

Also, line 39, “For I tell you, you will not see me again, until you say, ‘Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord”, is considered one of the most reliable of the end times prophecies. It is commonly understood to mean that Jesus will return after there is a large scale conversion of Jerusalem (the Jewish people). You will know the end times are here when there is a significant conversion of Jews to Christ.

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Bible Study, Catholic, Christianity and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Day 43 – Free Will from the lips of Jesus

1. Jon musso says:

Yes dave the cross is sufficient for all, but the new covenant is for those who were elected! Jesus offer is to all gentile, Jew, male, female, but the new covenant is for those who he predestined! God not sitting up there going I hope dave comes to faith, or I love him so much, that I’m going to allow him to die, because that’s true love a person a deprave person can choose between good and evil! God is sovereign not partially soverign, not he knows, but he allows! God never allows anything to happen that he doesn’t permit for a ultimate purpose!

2. While I agree with some of your points I don’t think they flow logically from one to another to you conclusion. It is true that God does not “hope” I come to faith. It is also true that I am predestined for heaven (I pray), in the sense that God is outside of time and knows always what my ultimate destination is. However, I do not see any scriptural evidence that (a) we are totally depraved (fallen Yes but totally depraved no b/c Genesis says all creation is good and we are made in His image and likeness) and (b) that God forces us to choose him. That being said it is God who gives each person the grace they need to choose him yet he does that while still preserving free will b/c otherwise there would be no true love. God, who is all powerful is capable of that task even if it is beyond our finite minds to comprehend exactly how those 2 seemingly inconsistent things can simultaneously be true.

• Jon musso says:

Yes, dave their is tenstion between how a loving God can both gives us choices and elected us at the same time! I agree but true love is more than how we see love! Depravity has to do with after sin entered! We are sinners if we are not than we wouldn’t sin!

• Jon musso says:

Genesis says we were made good than sin entered and corrupted everything! No one is good not one! While we were sinning God saved us, by going to the cross! Total depravity is all over scripture!

3. You are taking one side of the equation and over emphasizing it. Of course it is true that sin entered the world and corrupted it. But it is also true that we are made in His image. Depravity is in the bible but total depravity is not.

• Jon musso says:

Dave the bible uses depravity to emphasize how fallen we are! We have choices, but our wills are corrupted! We would all choose hell

4. “Even when considering the unregenerate Calvin is wrong about total depravity because Scripture tells us even those who are outside of the law can,

… do by nature what the law requires, they are a law to themselves, even though they do not have the law. They show that what the law requires is written on their hearts” (Romans 2:14-15).

Though Catholics agree with Calvinists that grace is necessary even for these who are ignorant of the law in order for them to be just before God—in other words this text is not saying these pagans can be justified apart from grace—the text does infer that nature is not totally depraved because man can clearly act justly on a natural level and by nature.”

5. Jon musso says:

Catholic don’t truly understand how beautiful grace is because they believe hope is in the believer!

6. Jon musso says:

The belief in free will corrupts grace! Again we have choices but our wills are broken by sin! He died while we were sinning

7. Jon musso says:

Also image is a picture it’s like looking in the mirror your not the picture your an image of the picture! Image is not how your emphasizing image! God bless

• What then does “image” mean? Surely it doesn’t simply mean that we physically look like God. Jesus has a body but does the Father have arms and legs? Does the Holy Spirit have a mouth and stomach? That has never been the common understanding of what “image and likeness” means. Being made in his image means that we have the same attributes as God but in lesser quantity and quality (infinitely lesser in fact). For example, we are immortal but He is eternal. We are intelligent but He is all knowing. There is no reason, logically or scripturally, that we should exclude any attribute of God from that paradigm.

8. I don’t want to go round and round for no reason but no one is saying that we are the source of the image. However, the image has the same attributes of the source. When I look in the mirror I see an image that has the same attributes as me. The hair (what little of it there is) is brown, the eyes are green. Thus when God looks at us, he SEES HIMSELF IN US. The person is the SOURCE of the attributes in the image. The attributes of the image are mere reflections of the source – the come from the source but they are still there. “Image and likeness” are used by God exactly because they convey this truth. We have the same attributes as God. We get them from him. They are not not the same, they are lesser reflections but they still exist BECAUSE God comprehends them and what comprehends he makes real.